Hi, I'm Mike Lowe, I help businesses uncover the potential of diversity in teamwork
Mike Lowe is the founder of Discover the Other, a management consultancy firm specialising in creating high performing teams and in workplace conflict resolution.
Mike has spent most of his working life with the international NGO, Initiatives of Change, which has a long history of building trust across the world’s divides. Most of what he has learned has come from that tradition.
During much of the 1990s Mike Lowe was running leadership training programmes to help create trust and integrity in the former Soviet Union, including work with the Ukrainian Parliament, universities and civil society.
Since moving to Melbourne in 2002, he has also worked with police and former militia leaders in Solomon Islands, as well as with civil society in Australia.
Mike Lowe is an accredited Talent Dynamics performance consultant, an accredited mentor for the Enhancing Their Gifts System™ and NLP practitioner. He has wide experience facilitating groups using Open Space Technology and World Cafe.
Mike Lowe's Background
Mike Lowe's Experience
Accredited Mentor for the The Enhancing Their Gifts System™ at Enhancing Their Gifts System™
October 2012 - Present
Enhancing Their Gifts System™ - is a proven philosophy through 20 years of real world application. It is a simple, painless, sustainable, time, energy and money saving track to lift employee performance, driven by them.
Trainer and programme coordinator at Foundations for Freedom
1993 - December 2002 | Oxford, UK
Foundations for Freedom is a program for training and developing young leaders in Central and Eastern Europe, based in Oxford, UK. Work involved leading training courses in Eastern Europe, strategic planning, curriculum design, liaison with government and non-government bodies, writing funding applications and reports and mentoring interns from Russia. Overall project coordinator from 1998-2000. Key outcomes:
* Development of a network of East European young leaders in professional and political life, supporting each other in a commitment to bringing ethical change.
* Creation of new NGOs in Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, Moldova reflecting the values of Initiatives of Change â personal integrity and empowering individuals to work for change in society starting with themselves.
* Through a series of âtraining of trainersâ programs, internships and mentoring, the leadership and ownership of Foundations for Freedom has moved to people from the region. Courses are now conducted in local languages by native speakers, administered by Ukrainians in Ukraine.
* Two study courses to the UK for members of the Ukrainian Parliament (1994 & 1997).
* Courses were adapted for use in post-conflict situations in Sierra Leone. Since 2005 these âMoral Foundations for Democracyâ courses have been bringing together members of the police, armed forces and civil society for reconciliation, leading to a far-reaching transformation of society â much of it funded by UNDP. See http://www.hopesierraleone.org
Journalist and editor at For A Change Magazine
1987 - 1992 | London
For A Change was a monthly colour magazine publishing positive news of people bringing change in society based on change in their own lives. My work included researching and writing stories and sub-editing stories that others had written.
Founder and CEO at Discover the Other
October 2011 | Melbourne, Australia
Discover the Other is a training and consulting company specialising in workplace conflict resolution.
Trust is a major factor influencing purchasing decisions, business to business relationships, employee retention and satisfaction. Yet research shows that managers typically spend anywhere from 25% to 70% of their time dealing with conflict.
Discover the Other trains managers and leaders to manage conflict more effectively, leading to higher productivity and better employee retention.
Communications Officer at Initiatives of Change
2006 | Melbourne, Australia
Responsible for managing content on www.iofc.org and social media properties, including PDF newsletters.
Developed and run "Discover the Other" workshops to develop skills in cross-cultural understanding.
Ran training programme in Solomon Islands for Royal Solomon Islands Police in 2004 to bring reconciliation after civil strife.
Helped run training programme for former combatant leaders in Solomon Islands in 2009.
Talent Dynamics Step One Performance Consultant at Talent Dynamics
May 2012 | Australia
Talent Dynamics allows each person in a team or organisation to understand the quickest and easiest way for them to get into and stay in Flow. It helps them understand how to get others into and staying in Flow and provides clear strategies and actions for teams to take based on their profile, to achieve a desired result.
Mike Lowe's Education
The Victorian Training Group
2006 – 2006
Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training
Diocese of Chichester
1990 – 1992
Bishop's Certificate in Christian Education
University of Leeds
1981 – 1984
Mike Lowe's Interests & Activities
Change management, leadership, organisational development, trustbuilding, reconciliation, diversity, conflict resolution, sustainability, business ethics, creating shared value